Friday, April 18, 2008

Let's sync Prophet 64 to Nanoloop


I made a little sync cable today so that Nanoloop can control the tempo and synchronise with the Commodore 64 program Prophet 64. At first I tried to make it such that the Prophet 64 controls the Nanoloop tempo, however, the results where not very promising.

Demo video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3B9gMRWYg

When I first looked into making this sort of cable, I was looking for a 12/24 edge connector. The only place I could find them were Digikey, who charged almost $40 for shipping and handling for 3 x $3 connectors! Well, in the end I decided to order some 22/44 edge connectors from an arcade shop in Sydney. Then, it was simply a matter of somehow getting the connector to the right size. I used brute force and a wire cutter. Well, it works, doesn't it?!

5 comments:

nitro2k01 said...

I don't know if you know, but I've done that with LSDj before. I misused LSDj's Nano sync output because the data out line basically contains a square wave that flips at every tick. This somehow works as a form Sync24, although in half speed.

As for doing it the other way around, it's not impossible. Sync24 will send out a pulse for every tick. This pulse can be used for two thing:
1) A flip-flop that flip for every tick.
2) And something that releases 8 clock signals for the GB clock line, for every tick.
It's not a trivial circuit, but it's absolutely possible to build.

Sebastian Tomczak said...

Hey Nitro, good to hear from you.

For sure, if one uses either a series of logic ICs I suppose, or some cheap a$$ micro solution like maybe a picaxe 08M (like AU$4.50 or whatever). So yeah, I am sure it is possible the other way around too.

Basically, I made the cable for someone else, who didn't really care which way the sync went. Personally, I would find it more useful to sync P64 to something else, rather than the other way around. But that's just me.

The most annoying thing about this cable is to get the damn connector from within Australia. ¬_¬
I ended up buying some 22 / 44 edge connectors from an arcade shop in Sydney... this ended up being much cheaper than the US$50(!) that digikey tried to charge me for three US$3 connectors!

nitro2k01 said...

But still, you'll have to live with the problem of half-speed sync, right?

Anonymous said...

I really cant wait to get this going.

Actually i too would have preferred nanoloop to slave to the p64, but heck im not gonna be picky when youve done me such a great and friendly service!

Sebastian Tomczak said...

@nitro: yep.

@oliver: hmm. i don't have time at the moment to look into this. But maybe sometime soon i will. remind me in a week or so.