Monday, June 02, 2008

Game Boy Pushpin MIDI Interface




Today I made a Game Boy Pushpin MIDI interface. If you don't know what Pushpin is, you can read more about it here. Thanks to Nitro2k01's post with the schematic. Works great. I didn't need to use the double inverted output. I used a 6n139 instead of a 6n138. My resistors were rated at 0.5W 1%. The 4.7uF capacitor was an electrolytic rated at 50V.


Here is a quick little sound example of using just a single channel of the Game Boy. This was recorded from one of my "Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie!" Game Boys.

The MIDI data comes from a monophonic, one bar Ableton Live loop...
Which was then fed through an arp...
While a Max/MSP patch was generating some MIDI CC data...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seb, can you post some sounds with it? I've been meaning to check it out.

Sebastian Tomczak said...

Hi Brett,
I posted a really short example so you can check it out.

:)