Sunday, July 06, 2008

Oceans of Sound at the Jade Monkey Last Night


I went to a show last night featuring Rafael Toral (Portugal), Daniel Varricchio (Adelaide) and Tristan Louth-Robins (Adelaide). It is always excellent be engaged with something that entices one listen to sound for the sake of sound.

Tristan Louth-Robins's approach to the performance was interesting, and it was great to hear a new version of The Sky is Falling. I really enjoyed the organic, shuffle-like quality and the thick textures of the sound, not to mention the psychological aspects of listening to this type of work. All things considered, I think this was probably the best live set I have seen of Tristan's.

Although I met him briefly a while ago, and have seen his face a number of times at various things, I have never heard Daniel Varricchio play. I enjoyed the build up of texture and abstract sounds that formed a cohesive, constantly changing whole in the first half of the set.

Rafael Toral's performance using the cracklebox was well executed. I was also intrigued by the amount of expression he able to get out of the feedback setup in the first third of the set.

0 comments: