Friday, December 05, 2008

Permutations: (2 ^ 1) ^ (2 ^ 4)


Overview
In the last few hours I have become increasingly interested in waveform permutations based on low bit resolution and low sample rate constraints - to be more specific, I have become interested in hearing all of the permutations of a given set.

So let's get the ball rolling.


65,536 Possibilities
I have named my first example (2 ^ 1) ^ (2 ^ 4). That is because this is the total number of waveforms present in this set. This particular set is defined as being 1 bit in depth (hence the "2 ^ 1") and has a waveform length of 16 (hence the "2 ^ 4").

In other words, it is a sonification of all possible 16-bit words(from 0x0000 to 0xFFFF) when represented as a continuous 1-bit waveform. Each waveform is only played once - ie. each 16-bit long number is not repeated.

Personally, I find the resulting audio output almost hypnotising but I am sure others will disagree.


Practical Realisation
I have realised this outcome on a Sega Master System II console. The audio that you can download below was recorded directly from hardware.


Listen
Download: (2 ^ 1) ^ (2 ^ 4)

3 comments:

Tom said...

1-bit synthesis!!

Check out:

The One Bit Groovebox if you haven't already. It's a great little synth, I'm working on hacking in MIDI support...

threv said...

The requested URL /_other/downloads/mp3s/permutations/01 2^1 ^ 2^4 .mp3 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Sebastian Tomczak said...

Tom: Thanks for the link! Yeah I've seen that one before :)


Threv: The link works for me... maybe try a different browser?