Friday, December 04, 2009

Microtonal Chipmusic Compilation

Microtonality is a field that seems to me to be a little overlooked when it comes to chipmusic. That's why I thought it would be fun to do a microtonal compilation.

More information about microtonal music can be found here, for example.

If I receive more than 10 tracks, I will have to select the best 10 tracks. If I am unable to make such a choice because of a conflict of interest, then I will find others to make such choices for me.



Rules:
++ Software or hardware, real or fake, it's all good.
++ Tracks must be microtonal as far as the chosen tuning is concerned.
++ Effects are fine.


Submission:
++ Email submission to: seb dot tomczak at gmail dot com
++ The due date is February 20th 2010
++ Please use the FLAC format for submission, as I would like to release this in both lossy and lossless formats


How:
You might be asking yourself, ok this sounds like a reasonable compilation, but how can I write microtonal music for Gameboy or other consoles?
++ The ever-brilliant Abrasive has made an LSDJ tuning script.
++ LSDJ can also be retuned using a simple spreadsheet and a hex editor.
++ Nanoloop can be retuned in a similar fashion.
++ Furthermore, the SEGA Mega Drive, C64 SID chip and many other chipmusic-related consoles and computers support a frequency resolution that is fine enough for the composition of microtonal music. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how to write microtonal music for consoles other than the Gameboy, please feel free to share your thoughts here in the comments, as it will make this compilation more accessible.

2 comments:

Johan said...

Little piggy tracker has just gotten a new command pfin ( check it out at http://wiki.littlegptracker.com/doku.php?id=lgpt:reference_manual#pfin_aabb )

You'll need the ghetto version of LittlePiggyTracker though

Tristan Louth-Robins said...

I may put something forward for this. You might recall at the Wheatsheaf a couple of weeks ago I mentioned I was interested in composing some 'minimalist' chiptune (for want of a better expression). I've been recently using the NES Synth iPhone app and it has quite a bit of potential.