This is a Max patch that connects to an Ableton Link network, and generates pulses suitable for a Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator PO-12 or other similar sync scenarios.
Download the Max patch here: http://milkcrate.com.au/_other/downloads/max_patches/Link_to_Pulse_Tick.maxpat
The patch requires Max, which can be run in demo mode as a version of runtime. The patch requires the Max Ableton Link package, which can be installed via the package manager in Max.
The pulses are output via an audio interface. In this case, the audio interface that is used is a $2 (with free shipping) USB sound card.
To use the patch:
- Make sure that the laptop and any Link devices are on the same network
- Launch Max go to Options > Audio Status..., set the audio output device to the audio interface and turn the audio engine on
- Connect the output of the audio interface to the PO-12
- Launch the Link to Pulse Tick patch, and set quantum to 4 and subdivisions to 2
- Set the PO-12 to SY2 (sync input, stereo output) by pressing funct and bpm
- Press play on the PO-12 - the PO-12 will wait for a sync signal
- Enable to the output of the sync patch by turning the toggle on
- At the start of the next quantum (bar), the patch will start sending a sync signal to the PO-12, the PO-12 will play in time with Link
- Changing the tempo in the patch will update all other Link devices on the network and vice versa